- Length: 900-1,500 words. A minimum of 900 words (approximately 3.5 double-spaced pages) is required in order for your essay to be substantial. What is important is that you get your point across.
- Organization: Introduction, supporting paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Language: Use formal language and avoid the use of first and second person — avoid references to yourself (NO “I believe, in my opinion” etc.), no personal anecdotes, and do not address the reader (avoid “you” altogether).
- Documentation: five correctly documented quotes or paraphrases from five adequate sources.
- Style: APA style is usually used for the type of research you will be doing. Continue in that style unless otherwise stated by your professor.
- Cross-referencing: You must use in-text citations (also known as in-text references) or signal phrases each time you use the words or ideas of your sources in the essay. Cross-reference your work as explained in your handbook. The handbook is especially necessary for this essay.
- Support: You’ll need a minimum of five sources. Support your ideas with expert opinion, facts, statistics, and other information you find in your research. It is a mistake to create a Frankenstein research paper by copying and pasting.
Assemble a correct APA-style Cover page followed by the abstract.
Write an abstract based on your chosen topic and thesis.
Terrorism: Determine what your position is with dealing with terrorists. Consider whether the United States should negotiate with groups that are religious or apocalyptic in their objectives, such as “Islamic State,” as opposed to groups that are political. Take a position: Negotiating with terrorists is appropriate in all cases, is never appropriate, or appropriate in some cases.