Assignment #1: Ethical Dilemmas (15%)
In the first assignment, you have the opportunity to gain an understanding of how to identify different types of ethical dilemmas that occur within business, apply ethical theories to solve dilemmas, and after comparing the results, take a critical stance of determining a theorist who can best address all three dilemmas.
Outcome Met by Completing This Assignment:
1. identify ethical issues that arise in domestic and global business environments using an understanding of ethical concepts and of legal and business principles
2. develop and evaluate alternatives to, and recommend solutions for, ethical dilemmas, taking into account ethical and legal requirements and the essential mission of the business enterprise
3. effectively communicate to internal and external business stakeholders the complexities of ethical issues, suggesting and analyzing various solutions in order to ensure appropriate business practices and accountability
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so you are expected NOT to use contractions in writing this assignment.
You are expected to use the facts from the case scenario paired with the weekly courses readings to develop the analysis and support the reasoning. No more than three (3) external resources can be used in completing the assignment. Books cannot be used as resources for this assignment.
- Create a title page with title, your name, the course, the instructor’s name and date;
- Introduction (one paragraph)
- Ethical Dilemmas;
- Ethical Categories;
- Applying Theorists
Step 4: Read critically and analyze the case scenario under Week 3 Content area.
Step 5: Identify and discuss the three business dilemmas and one personal dilemma presented in the case scenario. Explain the facts that you have relied upon to make the selection. Use the course material to support your reasoning and conclusions.
Step 6: Identify and discuss the common ethical issues categories to which each of the three business dilemmas belong. Use the course material to support your reasoning and conclusions.
Step 7: State each dilemma in question form and then apply the ethical theories of Kant, Rand, and Bentham to answer the question: How would each of these theorists solve the dilemma? You need only chose one theorist per dilemma but all three theorists must be used in discussing the three dilemmas. Explain in detail how the conclusions were conceived using the class material, the facts from the case scenario, and any additional resources necessary to define the answer.
Step 8: In a final paragraph, compare the results and select one theorist who would best solve all three dilemmas. Since this last part is reflective of your personal opinion, be sure to support the conclusion with the class material, facts from the case scenario, and a definition of any personal ethical values that influenced the decision process.