Week 5 – Discussion 1
22 unread replies.22 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Apply Critical Approaches [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLO: 4]
Prepare: Prior to completing this discussion, read the Critical Literary Theories handout (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Reflect: In the Critical Literary Theories (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. handout, four different kinds of critical approaches are presented. Consider which of the four theories you find most interesting as a means for understanding literature.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references. Choose two of the critical approaches presented in the Critical Literary Theories (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. handout and address the points below.
- Imagine you are the teacher, and you have a student who does not understand these approaches. How would you describe each, in your own words? Be sure to give a specific example of how the approach would be applied to a critical reading of a text.
- Compare and/or contrast the two critical approaches. What is each of them most interested in exploring?
- Consider the text you wrote for your Literary Analysis Draft assignment in Week 3, and select one of the two approaches you wrote about above. What literary elements, themes, and conflict would you focus on if applying this approach to an analysis of the text? Review the List of Literary Techniques (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and Types of Conflicts Found in Literature (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. documents for assistance.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.