The right to Bear Arms and the ratification of the second amendment
WHAT does it mean to “bear arms”? The Second Amendment to America’s constitution reads: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Concerned by the number of firearms in America, and the epidemic of gun violence they cause, many commentators (including Johnson) have in the past examined the first half of the amendment. It seems obvious to some that the first clause qualifies the second: the right to bear arms is tied to militia service.
Americans own nearly half of all the civilian-owned guns in the world, and on a per capita basis, the US has far more guns than any other nation.
The paper must answer the following:
· History of the 2nd Amendment
· The ideas behind the drafting of the 2nd amendment by the Founding Father’s
o The prefatory clause
o The Individual Rights Thesis/Theory
· Why was the 2nd Amendment ratified?
· Does Second Amendment protect the private right of individuals to keep and bear arms?
· United States v. Miller 1939
· District of Columbia v Heller, 2008
· Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act
Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length of 6 to 8 pages