post a two-paragraph identifying two topics that interest you for the argumentative essay. Explain why each would be a good choice for research and argumentation.
Begin by reflecting on issues that are important to you and on which reasonable people might disagree. Also, consider areas in which a change could make improvements in a currently difficult situation. Once you have found two possible topics, draft two paragraphs in which you explain your interest in the topics and any challenges you expect to encounter.
To help , articles that present arguments about controversial issues that interest you.
The following are some ideas to get you started thinking about possibilities:
- As a parent, you might promote children’s health by advocating for healthy school lunch, mandatory recess activity, or physical education classes.
- As a military person or veteran, you might argue for services to eradicate veteran homelessness, drug abuse or suicide, or you could advocate for the draft to ensure that military service is expected of all sectors of society.
- As a student, you might choose to talk about how to revise Federal Student Aid programs to best support students. You could advocate for interest-free student loans and flexible repayment plans.
- You could make a case for strengthening of environmental protection, for unions in the workplace, for mandatory transition to renewable energy, for developing a mass transit to reduce the numbers of semis on our highways.
- You could argue to increase taxes to address the poor quality of roads, or to support teen centers, parks, or libraries.