Work Breakdown Structure Development and Project Activity Estimation
Due Week 6 and worth 140 points
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and a written paper. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for.
Imagine you have been hired to manage a project that will migrate a financial services legacy system to a Web-based cloud solution. This project will allow the organization to enhance user access from Web based clients and mobile platforms. There are approximately 1,000 users that will be accessing this financial services platform.
For this project, you will need to include tasks to upgrade existing network infrastructure to support a new Web-based cloud solution with security enhancements to maintain data integrity and availability of application. Training for the users that are staffed within four (4) regional offices is also assumed.
This project has a 60-day duration that must be represented at the top of your MS Project plan. As part of this project, it is essential that you plan the efforts required and provide estimates on what the costs and schedule may be.
Section 1: Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
Required Format (MS Project File)
- Use MS Project or an Open Source alternative, such as Open Project to:
- Develop a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for the activities of the project using a phase or deliverable approach for determining the format of the WBS. Your WBS must:
- Identify at least fifteen (15) work packages listed below five (5) major phases / deliverables.
- List a code of the accounts identifier index to describe each work package within the WBS.
- List all the activities / tasks within your WBS, using Microsoft Project or Open Project, and:
- Present the logical succession of each activity and list predecessor and successor activities associated with each activity.
- Indent the grouped activities / tasks under each major phase / deliverable.
- Assign a milestone to represent the ending and beginning of a new phase.
- Assign realistic duration estimates for each activity. Remember that the overall project cannot exceed 60 days.
- Analyze the sequence of activities and add at least 20 predecessor and successor assignments to each activity.
- List the estimates in terms of days.
Section 2: Written Paper
Required Format (MS Word File)
- Write a one (1) page paper in which you:
- Explain how your specific WBS could help the team in estimating, planning, and understanding project requirements, deliverables, and efforts required to meet the financial services legacy system migration.
- Explain at least three (3) risks in the plan and how they could be mitigated.
- Use at least one (1) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Section 2 of the assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in MS Project, or one of its equivalents such as Open Project. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.