Exploring “Definition” Essays
For each assigned reading do the following for your analytical response:
Note: Your analysis must be TYPED and it is Due the Date the reading is due. (no late work accepted)
- Read and Annotate the Text
- Analyze: In your response, include the following information for EACH TITLED TEXT: Title and Author
- Thesis: What is the PRIMARY DEFINITION?
- If it is a Direct Thesis, copy it down. (include para)
- If you could not locate a “Direct Thesis” and thus it is an “Indirect” or implied Thesis; write down what you believe is the thesis of the paper.
- Answer: Do you agree or disagree with the author’s assertion or definition of the term?
- Supporting Arguments:
- What are the main arguments or supporting “definitions”? (there may be several: provide minimum 4)
- Are these arguments or definitions persuasive? Why or why not?
- Definition: How do you define the term (word or concept) of the essay in your own words? Write your own defining statement
[example: To me, “word” means……]
- Vocabulary: Choose 3 new words from the text to learn. Provide the following:
- Paragraph/line it is found in
- The definition/ synonym
- Word family (noun/ adj/ adverb/ verb)- as available
- An example: use the word in a QUALITY sentence that demonstrates the meaning and your understanding of the word.
- Critical Thinking: Why is this term important? Consider all aspects: to the text, to you, to various audiences, culturally, socially, globally (write a complete paragraph)