There are two significant pieces of legislation that impact maritime security in the United States. These include the Maritime Transportation Security Act 2002 and the S.A.F.E. Port Act of 2006.
For this assignment, you are to conduct a graduate level Legislative Critique of these two pieces of legislation. To do this critique, perform the following steps:
1. Obtain a copy of the piece of legislation to be examined (MTSA and S.A.F.E. Port Act of 2006).
2. Collect and analyze news media reports on the legislation. Compare and contrast
3. Collect and analyze any other critiques of the legislation. (i.e. Think tanks, academics, etc.) Compare and contrast
4. Collect and analyze available witness testimony with regard to the legislation. Compare and contrast
To compose a legislative critique, which in this case is a compare and contrast essay, students should compose an analysis based upon the following points:
- Provide a brief legislative history of the Bills. (No more than 300 words)
- Determine if the Bills focus was introduced in the past under a different name and/or format. If so, evaluate why the legislation was discarded. Compare and contrast
- Summarize the main points of each bill in your own words (but supported by citation as appropriate) Compare and contrast
- Evaluate and categorize the strengths and weaknesses of the individual legislation, then compared against each other. Compare and contrast.
- Conclude with a final assessment of both pieces of legislation including SPECIFIC recommendations that could be considered to enhance the security framework that has been established. These recommendations need to be as specific as possible JUSTIFY why you believe this should be considered. Compare and contrast.
Length: NO MORE THAN 4-6 pages double spaced, 1″ margins, 12 pitch type in Times New Roman font left justified format. Do not exceed the published number. You must write with word economy!
Citations/References: You must use APA parenthetical style for this assignment. Provide 5-8 quality references as support.