Write a 500-700 word position argument on one of the following topics:
- Should college education be free to American citizens (a bachelor’s degree)
- Should large places of employment (1,000 employees or more) be required to have a childcare facility on the grounds?
- Is water a human right?
- Is technology making us smarter or dumber?
- Should vending machines be allowed in public high schools?
Position arguments argue for one side of an issue/topic. Your arguable claim is essentially your position, you then offer reasons in support of that claim, and develop those reasons with evidence, explanation, analogies, logic, etc.
You may use first person in your essay, but should refrain from doing so unless necessary to making your argument. You should not write “I think the minimum wage should be increased to…” but might use personal experience in a small section of your paper as it relates to a minimum wage job you once held.
- Introduction should engage us and provide a summary/background of the topic you are writing about.
- Arguable claim is your stance on the topic (this is basically your thesis for a paper like this)
- Reasons in support of your claim (aim for 3 or more) these will serve as the main points of development for your essay.
- You can repeat or summarize a bit, but you should also leave us with a new point, a question or issue to consider, etc.