Select one of the poems listed above.. Read it and then complete the following response guide.
Name of the poem:
Point One: Explore the Themes of the Poem
- Try to group the ideas in the poem. Is there a story that the poem tells?
- What do you think the poem is about?
Point Two: Imagery used to express themes
- What are the pictures in the poem?
- Are metaphors/similes used to explain ideas?
- Are the five senses used to evoke certain reactions in the reader?
Point Three: Form and Structure
- How is the poem organized e.g. lines, verses, layout and shape.
- Why has the poet decided to structure the ideas in this way e.g. the sequence of ideas, length of lines, patterns etc.?
Point Four: Rhyme and Rhythm
- How does the poem rhyme? E.g. abab or aabb etc.
- What is the rhythm of the poem when read aloud?
- Why has the poet chosen this rhyme and rhythm to express these ideas?
Point Five: Language Patterns
- Think about the sound of the poem and choice of words.
- The poet uses specific words because they have a certain association in the reader’s mind.
You will be assessed on how well you completed the assignment listed above. This is about picking a poem apart and getting at the truth of it. Do just that. This assignment is worth 100 points.