For this assignment, you will research and analyze a communication theory. Your paper should be at least 1200 words, use at least four authoritative sources of which at least two are peer-reviewed journal articles, be written in third person, take a scholarly tone, and reflect APA format and documentation rules. (Worth 25% of your final grade.)
Here are some reflection questions to get your started:
- Why were you drawn to this theory? What captivated you to want to write about it?
- What have you learned about the theory?
- How do you relate to it? Have you seen it used in the media, such as in news coverage, speeches, political advertisements or commercials for products?
- Is the theory still applicable today? Does it still have meaning? How is it reflected in the workplace? In the social setting?
- What have the critics said about the theory?
Make sure to use in-text citations and end-of-text references in APA style.
Cognitive Dissonance Theory
Cognitive Dissonance Theory argues that the experience of dissonance (or incompatible beliefs and actions) is aversive and people are highly motivated to avoid it. In their efforts to avoid feelings of dissonance, people will avoid hearing views that oppose their own, change their beliefs to match their actions, and seek reassurance after making a difficult decision.
Communication Accommodation Theory
This theoretical perspective examines the underlying motivations and consequences of what happens when two speakers shift their communication styles. Communication Accommodation theorists argue that during communication, people will try to accommodate or adjust their style of speaking to others. This is done in two ways: divergence and convergence. Groups with strong ethnic or racial pride often use divergence to highlight group identity. Convergence occurs when there is a strong need for social approval, frequently from powerles