Week 5 – Discussion 2
1515 unread replies.2121 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
The Value of Literature, Part 2 [WLO: 2] [CLO: 5]
Prepare: Review the quote by Skwiot and Clugston that you considered in your Week 1 The Value of Literature discussion: “Literature enriches our lives by challenging us to have new perspectives on life’s experiences and the world in which we live” (Chapter 1, para. 2). You should also review your posts in the Week 1 The Value of Literature discussion. Finally, read the Harry Potter Through the Focus of Feminist Literary Theory (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. article. If you are unfamiliar with the Harry Potter series, please review the Series Overview (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. web page before reading the article so you have some foundational knowledge of the series.
Reflect: Consider how your understanding and perspective of literature has changed (or has not) over the duration of this course. You can also think about the value of literary study and research as you reflect on your experience reading the article. Then, respond to the questions and directives below.
Write: The initial post must be 200 to 300 words in length and posted by Day 3. In your initial post,
- Summarize your understanding of literary research. How does the article exemplify it?
- What critical thinking skills are developed by performing literary research, as you did in this course?
- What critical thinking skills are developed by reading literary research, as you did for your final literary analysis essay and for this discussion?
- What is the value of literary study? How does it help one to become a better individual, colleague, and global citizen? You should use at least one quotation and paraphrase from the Harry Potter article to provide a specific example. For help on writing paraphrases and quotations, review the Ashford University Writing Center’s tutorial Integrating Research (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and the Quoting, Paraphrasing, & Summarizing (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. web page.
Respond to Peers: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- What did you learn by reading and considering your classmates’ posts?
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretations of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research, and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.