Need a 200-250 Word response about below:
Reading Attached (NOT HARD)
- Due Date: Week 5
- Prompt: Based on this week’s reading and discussion, how would you define Western Art (“Classical”) Music and its import in today’s musical world? To complete this wake, please reflect on the following question sets. Please group each “question set” into its own set of text boxes. (Some of these tasks you’ve completed throughout the module, so feel free to revisit your notes from those experiences.)
- Associated Readings: “Musicking,” “Structural Listening,” and “Back to Beethoven”
- Listen to an area Classical radio station when you’re out and about. Here’s the one for DFW: http://www.wrr101.com/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (Feel free to find the one in your town!)
- What kind of music does the station play? What are the composers you hear? How would you describe this music and your experience? (You can always checkout their playlists online to view programming!)
- Revisit the “art music” organization you visited in Module 4. I’ve listed several below. Select one of the concerts from their 2017-2018 season and watch it. Try to watch at least one entire piece or at least a long excerpt. You might also peruse interviews with conductors, orchestra members, and other supporters to get a sense of the institution and its goals.
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- New York Philharmonic (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Berliner Philharmonic (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- London Symphony Orchestra (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Royal Concertgebaouw (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- San Francisco Symphony (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- What kind of music is this institution programming this season? How do listeners behave in this environment? How is the work of art treated? What aspects of the music stood out to you the most? Why? Try to describe how this music made you feel, while also engaging with a few musical elements you’ve been practicing. How does this engagement relate to Romanticism and the Beethoven myth?
- Finally, reflect on the relevance of the Western Art Music in today’s world. How do your radio and “virtual concert” experiences resonate with ideas of the Western art music canon? How do they celebrate certain kinds of music?
- Can you connect with this kind of concert experience? Why or why not? Why does this music matter (or not) to you? Can you see traces of the music you love in this music? Why or why not?