Read They Say I Say textbook: “The Art of Quoting”, pages 42-50and “Connecting the Parts”, pages 105-118. This reading will assist you with introducing quotes and connecting the ideas in your essay.
After you have carefully read, processed and understood the reading, answer the following questions. Copy each question and paste it into your document, then answer it with full complete sentences using your own words and providing explanation, analysis and examples as needed.
- What makes a quote in your essay relevant? How should you choose quotes to insert into your paragraph?
- What does it mean to “frame your quotations”?
- What is a “hit and run” quote” ?
- Page 107 states ” It may help to think of each sentence you write as having arms that reach backward and forward”. What does this mean? How does this approach help create connection? How do you generally create connection from idea to idea in your writing?
- What are transitions and how do they help connect ideas?
- What are pointing words?
- Why should you repeat key terms and phrases for the reader?
- What is “repetition with a difference”?