Use A History of American Higher Education text to read the following:
- Pages 238–259 in Chapter 6, “Success and Excess: Expansion and Reforms in Higher Education, 1920 to 1945.”
- Pages 260–268 in Chapter 7, “Gilt by Association: Higher Education’s ‘Golden Age,’ 1945 to 1970.”
As colleges and universities grew and diversified, the roles of presidents, faculty, boards, and staff changed organically or as a result of external influences, leading to role confusion and strained relationships. For this question, address the following questions:
- How were changes in organizational structure associated with the changing roles of faculty and administrators?
- What role did external influences have on organizational structure and on role conflict?
- To what extent do evolving roles and responsibilities continue to induce conflict?