The Awakening, Chapters I-XVI
1. In what ways does Edna seem separated from the world in which she lives?
2. Why is Edna both drawn to, and fearful of, the sea? What does the sea seem to represent to her?
3. Leonce, we are told, is dissatisfied with his wife, although he is unsure why. What reasons might he have for feeling dissatisfied?
The Awakening, Chapters XVII-XXXIX
1. Why does Edna move out of the house she shares with her husband? Should doing this be seen as an “awakening” of some sort? Why or why not?
2. Does Edna find her relationships with Robert and Arobin satisfying? Why or why not?
3. How would you characterize the role that Edna’s children play in her life?