You will be writing about Charlie Chaplin’s film CITY LIGHTS and discuss anything that interests you about this film…the themes, story, physical comedy, love story, characters, a particular scene or moment that stood out, the music, representations of class differences, the ending etc…I will leave it open to you. Think of it as a response paper or journal entry. Here are some basic guidelines:
1. The paper should be 2-3 pages (double spaced, 12 font)
2. Review the paper for any spelling/grammar mistakes (you will lose points if there are errors)
3. Do not write 1 long paragraph
4. Do not summarize the story; focus more on your reaction to the film
5. You may use “I” and write in the first person if needed
6. Please make sure you spell the names of the filmmakers, characters, actors etc…correctly.
I am leaving the paper open to whatever you like because I want to make sure you all write about the things that you want to. This is also an opportunity to critique the film (both positively and negatively). Do not be afraid to say you did not like aspects of the film either. Hopefully there are elements from either film which will trigger something to write about for each one of you.