A literature review aims to give you the opportunity to review, analyze, critique, and discuss various texts that relate to your topic. Your review should also aim to provide the reader information on why your topic is a worthy topic for study.
The objective of this literature review assignment is to help you begin reviewing your secondary sources. For this assignment you will:
· search for articles on your topic,
· analyze at least three (3) useful articles, and
· evaluate how you will use the information to support your ideas for your topic.
The final goal is to get you to integrate these sources into your final report.
Find three (3) potential sources (published articles or other secondary sources) that relate to your topic. (p. 125-133). Your sources should vary (books, journals, magazine articles, web sites…)
Skim your sources carefully to (take notes on how they relate to your topic) and select three (3) sources for your review (p. 660-661)
Write your review (you must use the APA style). It must be written in an essay format that contains an *introduction, body, conclusion for each source, and a reference page at the end.
*See descriptions below
How to Write Your Review:
Introduction (Paragraph 1):
Introduce your topic and explain your purpose for selecting the topic. Give some background about the topic to include specifics about the problem
Body (Paragraphs 2-4):
· Each source should be reviewed in a separate paragraph. Provide a summary of the author’s work that includes information on the context of your proposed topic.
· Provide a critical evaluation of how each of your three (3) sources contributes to your topic. (How do the articles provide background information or provide solutions to the problem or support or defend your beliefs about the problem? What valuable information does the article provide that directly relates to your topic)***Keep your primary focus on the literature.*** Include a quote or a paraphrase (2 minimum) from each source you review and be sure to have parenthetical citations using the APA style in your assessment.
· Identify questions related to your topic or problem that your research will answer.
· Explain how you will use the literature in your report.
· Provide the conclusions that your review has led you to draw from the literature and explain how helpful you believe your reviews will be towards your recommendations.
How You Will Be Graded:
You will be evaluated on the following:
· The effectiveness of your introduction
· The context of your topic and problem rationale
· The critical evaluation of how the cited literature contributes to your research
· The presentation of research questions (Do they logically follow the problem?)
· Accuracy of in-text citations
· Reference page
· Grammar and mechanics
Utilizing On-Campus Counseling Services